Tuesday, December 21, 2010

5 years seems so long ago...


My good friend Lance has inspired me to start blogging again. I used to do it all the time over on that MyFacepage I used to have but since Twitter (follow me! @The_Cristal) came into my life, I have chosen to catalog my life in 140 characters or less.

Today is not just a normal day. It is the first day of winter and my baby girl's 5th birthday. 5 years ago at 9:38 pm I laid on a table at the University of Tennessee (Go Vols!) Medical Center and allowed Dr. Mary Kidd carve a smiley face into my bikini line and give me the greatest gift anyone could have. 8lbs, 1 oz and 21 3/4's inches long, with a lot of jet black hair and amazing blue eyes, Madison Leigh was gifted to me straight from the Big Guy in the Sky.


Those first few days are foggy as I was taking a major painkiller for my c-section surgery and it was 4 days before Christmas and my in-law's were visiting and I was trying to breast feed this little angel all while she had colic and no one slept. Our "no baby in the bed" rule was quickly broken when we realized our little angel would sleep on a pillow between us.

While most newborns enjoy being wrapped and swaddled in warm clothing and blankets, ours did not. She wanted to be naked and slept or laid with her arms and legs wide open to the world. Looking back, that was her first step into grasping all the knowledge she could at that time. Today she prefers educational games and shows like Dino Dan on PBS KIDS to goofy ones like Sponge Bob. Every time she wanted to sleep I would rub her feet and sing her Beatles songs like "Hey Jude" or "Blackbird" or John Lennon's "Imagine". "You Are My Sunshine" was also a favorite in our home. As the days passed our little 8lb wonder grew and discovered things everyday. Her first word was Dada...this was said on Mother's Day....she's still a Daddy's girl. She's nerdy like her daddy and awesome like her mommy.

I cannot believe my baby is 5 today. Time has flown by and with each passing day, she becomes more independent, smarter (like her daddy), and bolder (like her mommy). Today, I took have a day off work to have lunch and shop with my blossoming little lady. After a lunch with Nana and Poppy, she and I hit up the local mall, spent almost $60 on a Build-A-Bear reindeer named Clarice and then ended or adventure with hot chocolate from Starbucks.

Tonight as I tucked her in bed, I thought back to that first night I held her in my arms and teared up a little. I miss that little baby that needed me for everything, but I still hold on to the little girl who wants to fly...

Here's to hoping time slows down and the next 5 years don't fly by like the last 5.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud you are blogging. Happy Birfdaze to Ms Mad. I sang Beatle songs to Lylabug as well. Her favorites were Ticket To Ride, Octopus' Garden, Oh Darling and She came in through the Bathroom window. Madi has a very good princess room. She also has a good mom and dad.

    Since you are on E Blogger you can follow me. I will return the favor. Welcome to the writer world. It's all downhill from here.

    ReplyDelete