Saturday, August 29, 2009

Yes, I realize it isn't natural...

Everyone, well most everyone, that is close to me makes me feel like a moron for my love of all things New Kids on the Block. I guess it may be silly that a 30 year old woman, who has been married for 10 years with a 3 year old daughter still sleeps with a New Kids blanket and has her DVR set to record anything with "Wahlberg" in the description. But, I don't think it is!

In 1990 I saw my first NKOTB show and fell head over heels! It was shortly before my 10th birthday and that was my birthday present. My mom camped out in the torrential rain for 2 days to get tickets for me! My bedroom was wall-to-wall, ceiling-to-floor wallpapered with pics of the 5 hardest working men in showbusiness. I had countless VHS tapes with them on shows like Arseno Hall and Regis and Kathy Lee! I had NKOTB lunch boxes, shoe strings, bracelets, necklaces w/ matching earrings, t-shirts, night gowns, pillows, blankets, dolls (street wear and stage sets), videos and pay-per-views, cassette tapes, ponytail holders, chap stick, trading cards, buttons, stationary, socks, cups, stickers...you name it, I had it!

The highpoint of my life was the summer of 1991, it was a Magic Summer! NKOTB was coming back to Knoxville for the 2nd time and I was there. Mom and I both camped out and got tickets....ROW 1 to be exact! At the time, Ticketmaster failed to tell us Row 1 was Row 1...behind the stage! I didn't care though. I was still close enough to see every move and hear Jordan hit every high note! He was my favorite back in the day...until Face the Music and the infamous arrest in KY, that's when Donnie stole my heart! There was something about that mullet, those ripped jeans, and that pierced nose that drove my 11 yr old hormones INSANE!!!

When they announced their break-up in 1994, I was devastated! I remember not going to school and crying for 2 straight days! I was miserable! It was like my best friend had died! It was my freshman year in high school and I had to find something/someone to replace the hole in my heart! I tried for 4 straight years and to no avail! N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, 98 degrees, LFO and O'town could not fill the void!

After I graduated, I was searching the CD shelves and came across Jordan's solo cd!!! FINALLY! Something to help! I found him on the Internet and followed his every move! He even came to concert one time near me and I was so there! I also discovered Joe and Donnie were acting! I had to see every movie and show they were on.

That was the same year I met my husband and fell in love! When he and I were moving in together, he discovered my treasure trove of NKOTB memorabilia and laughed! I was never more insulted in my life!!

Fast forward 9 years...Jan 2008 I am surfing the net and come across TMZ.com and find a link to nkotb.com. Like any true Blockhead, I had been to the site several times when it was a fan site...This time, when I clicked the link, it said "ARE YOU READY?" and was playing CLICK CLICK CLICK! I stood up, screamed like I was dying and started crying!! I called everyone I know and posted it on Myspace that MY LIFE WAS COMPLETE! NKOTB IS COMING BACK!!!

I took off from work the day they were on the Today show and that was the day my husband discovered I was a 12 year old trapped in a 29 year old body! I jumped on the couch a-la Jerry McGuire when that curtain dropped and I re-discovered my love!

During this time I met my best friend Carrie when we discovered we both were closeted Blockheads! She and I waited patiently for the tour announcement and when they announced they were coming to Nashville, we were there! March 2009! Then they announced they were coming to Memphis in July 09 and WE WERE THERE!

Today, I am sitting patiently hoping for a new tour, album and did I mention I will be on the NKOTB Cruise to the Bahama's in May 2010??

I love NKOTB and I am not afraid to admit it!

No comments:

Post a Comment